Thursday, October 8, 2009

assign 9

In your own understanding, what's the difference between "METHOD" and "METHODOLOGY"?


Hmmn… Actually when I first read about this question, a lot of ideas are occurring in my mind. And somehow it made me think so deeply. Stop! I was really about to post the answer of this question when something unexpected happen. Would you believe that I accidentally deleted the words in the document and saved it? It was really annoying! It was better if I could have deleted the document itself because I can restore it from the recycle bin. But just imagine what I did? It’s really an OMG! So much for that, let’s go back to the question being asked (I was just telling my unfortunate experience).
So as I was saying, from my own point of view a method is a way of doing something. It could be also that it is carrying out something especially according to plan. For example in a math problem, we usually use “methods” in order to solve a problem or shall we say techniques and come up into a solution. So we can say – in other words – that methods are used to come up a solution to answer the problem being stated.
On other hand, I was thinking that a methodology is a study of methods or a study of a way of doing something or carrying out something, especially those according to plan (“ology” means study of, right?). So when I search about what a methodology is, I found a site (wikipedia.com) that stated that it is a systematic study of methods that can be applied within a discipline. It could also be an analysis of methods employed by a discipline (so I guess my thinking was right about the study thing). So to really visualize what a methodology is let’s have a concrete example. An example is a research paper; we all know that methodology is being used in research to define what methods will be used in developing. It can be a reference on how or where the data come from to attain successfully the objectives of the study.
I guess that would be all about method and methodology. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment