Sunday, October 4, 2009

Assignment 4

What do you think is the role of research topic in deciding your future career? (1500 words)

It has a big impact in any career you want if you have a good research or even deciding on what research you want to work with. I guess it is because it reflects on what you really want to be in the near future.
In my own point of view, the first role of the research topic in deciding student’s future (to be more realistic –my future: p) is that it is one of the requirement to graduate (laugh). Well kidding aside, to be honest I guess that it has a lot to do in the things you want to do in the future.
I think there are a lot of roles in a research or even in a research topic. I just don’t know how to put this in words though the ideas are already tickling in my mind. Hmmmn… It’s somehow a confusing statement (grinning). Aside from the fact that I stated above, research is also one of the lamp of my/your future. Why did I say that? Well let us face the fact that without completing the entire requirement and one of these is research, the dream of dressing a black cloth will be just an imagination. Sad to say, it will never unless you comply all the requirements. Going back to research, there are companies who support or even hire a person who has a good research topic (well, that’s what I found out after searching). And maybe that’s the reason, why it has a lot to do with my future or rather say deciding on my own future career.
Actually as I was walking on the streets heading to my boarding house, I saw a pamphlet that says “wanted researcher”, with the amount of salary given if you will be hired. I was amazed because it’s not just a small amount but it tackles a lot of money! Not to mention that the company holds all the expenses spent on whatever study will be produced by the researcher. But of course, the topic should be in lined on their criteria and even in their so-called “topic coverage”.
Just by looking the tempting offer given by the pamphlets or even in the internet, I can say that having a good research topic is somewhat a stepping stone for a bright future. I was thinking that if someone wants to have the best salary in such pieces of paper, then being a researcher should be the first in their list on deciding a future career. But actually, being a researcher is not an easy thing to do, a lot of hard work (if you are hard working already, then you have to double it) is required to be able to succeed or even produced a good topic (I know that based on experience [laugh]). But I think that the hardest part on a research is finding the appropriate topic on a certain scope. And when you already have a topic, then its easy now to gather some data since a lot of resources are now available in the internet, you just have too find a source that is proven to be true since not all the sources given in the internet are proven to be true.
I guess I was out of the topic (laugh). I think one of the roles of research topic is that it will give some knowledge to us students what is the current thread in the industry on what is in today and which is not. I don’t know if it could be classified as a role. But I guess I could be (tongue out). Just like on what I have experienced in this semester. Our topic should be with the scope of green computing. Actually, when I heard about the term “Green Computing” I was thinking that it has something to do with color. What I mean is that the color of computing is green, easy as that. I really sounded like a silly person at that time. I don’t know if I swallow some mercury that’s why it seems my IQ has degraded. And to be honest, thinking about “Green Computing” made me think so hard what topic should I propose. As a matter of fact, I find it so hard to produce a good topic because at that time I really don’t know what the scope of being called as a “Green Computing”. I was really ashamed that “Green Computing” has been introduced a long time ago and even made some solutions to maneuver it. Even the other countries have already organized some group and even made a campaign for it. Well shamed on me, I don’t know about that not before it was introduced to be or scope for our topic.
So I was thinking that in a research, the students will be taught how to gather some data by themselves. And even taught on how to be independent on something, what I mean is that the students were taught on how to stand in their own feet. Not just relying on what the instructors have said or teach in the four corners of the room. Having me as an example, because of the scope of the topic given to us, I was able to know the new threads of the computer world that supports green computing. Now I know that there is some software that helps us not just as a student but also helps the mother earth. And because of our scope, we were able to come up also a research topic that helps a certain group of people as well as the environment. Now I already know that most of the machines being made for the convenience of the people made the earth suffer from the effect given by these machines. In other words, we made the environment be destroyed by the things that we built. (Ooppps… I sounded like an angry mother trying to scold some naughty children [laugh]). So, I found out that there are some software which hits two birds in one stone and it isn’t bad to be a research topic right….?
Well, that is the reason why I said that maybe – just maybe one of the roles of a research topic i9n deciding a future career for a student like me or even not is to be aware of the recent thread in the technology industry. See, it is because of this I already know what green computing is, for whom it is and even what is its purpose.
Doing a research is somewhat gaining your knowledge about something (that’s what I thought based on experienced [grinning]). I mean everything your interested about. As I said a while ago that choosing a topic can be a reflection of what you want to do in the near future, just for example, those who formulate problems that intend to make solutions through software could be that they want to be a developer or a programmer someday. It could be also that the person who is good at gathering data could be a good researcher.
When I’m doing our research, there was a time that at the middle of my busy student life, I reflected on what I wanted to be in the near future – I mean after I graduated. I realized then what I’m good at. Frankly speaking, I can say that I’m good (well, not really good but I guess I excel at it) at gathering data or even conducting some interviews or surveys (we didn’t conduct some interviews or even surveys in our research since we don’t need it. We are more on technical side and didn’t even touch the social thing. So since they say that interviews and surveying are on social research, we didn’t conduct it.) So after I found out what I’m good at, I suddenly know or rather say have the idea what possible job should I take. A job which I think would be fitted on me. Since then I realized many things on deciding what path I should take.
Actually, I didn’t know the current thread in the industry if we say technical. I didn’t even know what twitter is and how it differs from facebook and friendster (shame on me); the current software, technologies and many more. Yes, I am a computer science student and I’m aware that I should suppose to know the current threads in my chosen field of expertise. But sad to say, my learning was stuck at the four corners of the room. Well, not until our instructors let us wander outside the university and made our learning in the real scenario of being a “technical person” and one of that subjects is research. But of course, you shouldn’t expect that you could just find a good research topic in the four corners of the room. One thing also is that you shouldn’t expect that you can also find a good one if you’re too old-fashioned and didn’t know the current thread. It is because you’re formulated problem and suggested solution might existing already. Well, that’s what I experienced. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment